Monday, November 10, 2008

My Sadie Passed Away On November 4, 2008.








I'm so sorry to report that My Sadie (in the first photo)passed away this week. She was almost 12 years old. I knew I was losing her for some time, but was still so sad to see her go. Pepe (in the second photo) was the father of her puppies and he loved her so much. The last few hours he sat by her side and gently washed her face, the same way he did when she was in labor. Then, when she was gone, he lay by her side for quite some time, and wouldn't let anyone else get near her. Finally, I had to move her to the other room. The next day we buried her in the garden, beneath the lilac bush. I'm surprised how quiet it is without her. She was always so exuberant...leaping and barking and demanding attention. She was the top dog and all of the others followed her lead. When she said it was time to go out, they all went out. When it was time for a cookie, they all got a cookie. I took photos of the fall garden after her burial, and also took some photos of the dogs. I was very touched to see the sad expressions in their eyes that the camera had picked up. Pepe cries actual doggie tears when he's sad, and you can see them brimming in his eyes in this photo of him, below the photo of Sadie. Sophie the Chihuahua was also so sad, but all the dogs were downcast. We will miss her. I found these two poems that I thought I would share. I just hope that someday, there really is a Rainbow Bridge and I'll get to see My Sadie again.

Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an
animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet
goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our
special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of
food, water and sunshine and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and
vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong
again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times
gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small
thing: they each miss someone very special, someone who was left
behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly
stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his
eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly, he breaks from the group,
flying over the green grass, faster and faster. You have been
spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling
together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses
rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and
you look once more into those trusting eyes, so long gone from your
life, but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together...
~Author Unknown~

Where To Bury a Dog
If you bury him in this spot, he will come to you when you call.
Come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death,
and down the well-remembered path to your side again.
And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel, they shall
not growl at him, nor resent his coming, for he belongs there.
People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass
bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper; people who may never really
have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is
hidden from them, and which is well worth the knowing. The one best
place then, to bury a dog, is in the heart of his master....
~Author Unknown~

2 comments:

  1. Oh Carol Jean, I am so sorry to hear this. Beautiful Sadie. How you must all miss her. I know I still miss my Lucy, every day.
    Sending hugs and much sympathy.
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your sympathy, Lynda. I can't say how much I miss her, and all my little fur babies that have passed on. A little piece of my heart breaks with each one. I'm sorry about your Lucy. She's playing in Doggie heaven with Sadie and Kadie now. Hugs, Carol Jean

    ReplyDelete