Monday, December 22, 2008

How I Trained Waldo My Chinese Crested Dog To Stop Biting Me.








When Waldo first came to live with me, he was a biter. I don't believe he had been raised in a loving household. He would struggle and squirm and chew on my hands and face if he could reach it. I was determined to tame him, and I would hold him and talk gently to him while watching the clock. After 30 seconds, it was all I could take, so then I'd put him down and give him a cookie. Each day I did this for 5 weeks, and was still only holding him for 30 seconds at a time. I was at the point of thinking I may not be able to keep him much longer, when suddenly he let me hold him, without biting me for 3 minutes! I was amazed. Then each day I held him longer. Soon it was ten minutes then twenty then thirty. And all the time he grew and grew and got heavier and heavier. Now he's 22 pounds, and I hold him and kiss his silly face for up to 30 minutes at a time. He loves me now and doesn't bite anymore. He does still nibble on his friend Sophie now and then though, as you can see in the photo collage above. ~Carol Jean~

1 comment: